Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Traditions-Folk Magazine's Community Journal Challenge

It seems that due to an upcoming birthday, I have been thinking a lot about how much my life has changed over the last ten years.  A decade ago, my work was my top priority and took up the majority of my time. I slept in, rarely had to do laundry, and wouldn't be caught dead staying in on a Saturday night. I was engaged at the time and looked forward to the big changes ahead.  I couldn't wait to start a family and create new traditions of our own.

Via Martha Stewart
Some of our favorite traditions are during the holidays. My mother-in-law always invites the kids over on Good Friday to dye Easter eggs. The cousins gather around the kitchen table and "ooh and aah" over the beautiful eggs. These past ten years have been good to our family and we were blessed with fourteen more children around the table.  A few kids always manage to dye their hands blue or green and it is still noticeable on Easter Sunday. A massive Easter egg hunt takes place after everyone has changed out of their church clothes. The kids are armed with their buckets and reminded of the rules. The "bigs" help the "littles" without being asked. The egg hunt usually ends in the hayloft of the barn where a swing hangs from the beams.  Everyone takes turns jumping off the swing and into the piles of hay.

Via Tumblr
I don't know what life will be like in another ten years, but I am sure our traditions will change a little bit over time. Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to invite my grandchildren over to dye eggs. If so, I will make sure to send at least one of them home with blue or green hands!

* If you would like to participate in Folk Magazine's Community Journal Challenge, you can check it out here.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment